He received the Dr. Eng. degree (Laurea) summa cum laude in Electrical Engineering at the University of Rome ''La Sapienza'' in 1992. In 1995 he had been a visiting student at the Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, University of California at Berkeley. In 1996 he received the Ph.D. degree in System Engineering at the University of Rome ''La Sapienza'' and in 1997-1999 he held a post-doc position at the University of L'Aquila. In 1997 he had consulted for Magneti Marelli and from 1997 to 2000 he was scientific consultant at the PARADES research laboratory in Rome.
- Approximate output tracking for nonlinear non-minimum phase systems with an application to flight control. L. Benvenuti, M. D. Di Benedetto and J. W. Grizzle, International Journal of Robust and Nonlinear Control, 4, (May-June 1994), 397-414.
- Filtering through combination of positive filters. L. Benvenuti, L. Farina and B. D. O. Anderson, IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems-I: Fundamental Theory and Applications, 46, (Dec. 1999) 1431-1440.
- Automotive engine control and hybrid systems: challenges and opportunities, A. Balluchi, L. Benvenuti, M. D. Di Benedetto, C. Pinello and A. Sangiovanni-Vincentelli, Proceedings of the IEEE, 88, (July 2000) 888-912.
- A tutorial on the positive realization problem, L. Benvenuti and L. Farina, IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, 49, (May 2004) 651-664.
- Actual engaged gear identification: a hybrid observer approach. A. Balluchi, L. Benvenuti, C. Lemma, A. Sangiovanni-Vincentelli and G. Serra,16th IFAC World Congress, Prague, Czech Republic, 2005.
- 2001 IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems Guillemin-Cauer Best Paper Award (Publicationo No. 2)
- 2005 IFAC Congress Applications Paper Prize (Publication No. 5)
- 2006 Plenary speaker at the Second Multidisciplinary International Symposium on Positive Systems: Theory and Applications, Grenoble - France (Publication No. 4)
- Approximate output tracking for nonlinear non-minimum phase systems
- Positive systems: the positive realization, identification and positive filters synthesis
- Control of systems with state and/or Input constraints
- Hybrid systems and applications on automotive engine control