I obtained my Ph.D. in Computer Science from the University of Patras in 2003 and my BEng in Computer Systems from the University of Kent in 1997. I have participated in R&D projects co-funded by the EU in the areas of Pervasive Systems and the Internet of Things, Distributed Computing and the Future Internet and Applications of Data Science in Intelligence Environments. The courses I am involved in:
- Pervasive Systems - An MSc level course introducing emerging application scenaria, studies characteristic design approaches of Pervasive systems and networks, examines essential algorithmic techniques and performance limits and provides the foundations for engineer algorithms in open-design.
- Algorithmic Methods of Data Mining - An MSc level course developing the basic algorithmic techniques for data analysis and mining, with emphasis on massive data sets such as large network data. It covers the main theoretical and practical aspects behind data mining.
- Principles of Computer Science II - A BSc level course introducing the principles of the algorthmic approach in bioinformatics.
- Smart Objects - An MSc level course that introduces the basics of smart objects, i.e., objects able to interact with an external environment and with other objects.
Some recent topics of focus:
- Recent Advances Technologies for Intelligent Sensing in Augmented Reality Environments - As global telecommunication market shift towards the 5G era, it becomes obvious that it is now realistic to expect the delivery of new application experiences that utilize augmented reality (AR) technologies and provide end users with real time as well as real world information from the sensor data collected.
- Gamification, Playfulness, and Ludicity in Intelligent Environments - New types of interactions are emerging that combine methods and techniques for developing playful elements with the potential of the Internet-of-Things (IoT) paradigm to directly link actions, decisions and events happening in real-life with in-game educational progress and modern gaming technologies.
- Advances in Sensors for Sustainable Smart Cities and Smart Buildings - New ICT technologies are being developed for the intelligent management and control of appliances that provide reliable data to citizens and guide them to achieve a change in behavior and consumption practices.
- Techno-Human Collective Systems for Smart Cities Innovation - The coexistence and cooperation of embedded systems with our social life is unveiling a brand new era of exciting possibilities.
I am always open to discuss how we can work together for a MSc thesis. Feel free to come to my office for a discussion, or send me an e-mail.
Some recent research results:
- Orestis Akribopoulos, Ioannis Chatzigiannakis, Christos Tselios, Athanasios Antoniou: On the Deployment of Healthcare Applications over Fog Computing Infrastructure. COMPSAC (2) 2017: 288-293
- Ioannis Chatzigiannakis, Andrea Vitaletti, Apostolos Pyrgelis: A privacy-preserving smart parking system using an IoT elliptic curve based security platform. Computer Communications 89-90: 165-177 (2016)
- Ioannis Chatzigiannakis: Apps for smart buildings: A case study on building security. Chapter in Book Start-Up Creation: The Smart Eco-Efficient Built Environment, Elsevier, pp (2016)
- O.Michail, I.Chatzigiannakis and P.Spirakis: New Models for Population Protocols. Synthesis Lectures on Distributed Computing Theory, edited by N.Lynch, Morgan & Claypool Publishers, 2011.
- I.Chatzigiannakis and P.Spirakis: Distributed Self-organized Societies of Tiny Artefacts: Design & Implementation. Printed by PerAda, the Future and Emerging Technologies coordination action funded by the European Commission under FP7. Lulu Publishers, Raleigh, N.C., May 2011 (ISBN 5800059245538).
- First SpeakToIt Prize Dataweek+API 2014, September 2014, San Francisco, USA
- EPSA 2013 Best Practice Certificate recipient from the European Institute of Public Administration (EIPA), November, 2013, Maastricht, Netherlands.
- Award of Excellence from the Greek Ministry of Education, Religious Affairs, Culture and Athletics, December, 2012, Athens, Greece.
- Third Prize Award of the IoT Challenge Competition in 4th International Conference on Internet of Things, Wuxi, China. The demo was titled "True Self-Configuration for the Internet of Things".
- Best Book Article (1 out of 3 selected articles) in Future Internet Assembly 2012, May, 2012, Aalborg, Denmark.
- Best Business Proposal Award in 1st Panhellenic E-Business Competition - AEGEAN Startups, November 2011, Samos Island, Greece.
- Best Video Award in Internet of Things 2010, Tokyo, Japan. The video was titled "Mobile, Locative and Collaborative Distributed Games Using Pervasive Technologies".
- Golden Creative Showcase Award in 5th International ACM/SIGCHI Conference on Advances in Computer Entertainment (ACE), October, 2009, Athens, Greece.
- Best IEEE Society Demo Award in 5th International IEEE Conference on Mobile Ad-hoc and Sensory Systems (MASS), October 2008, Atlanta, Georgia, USA.
- Distinguished Paper (1 out of 3 distinguished papers among 102 papers considered) in 4th ACM Workshop on Mobility Management and Wireless Access (MOBIWAC), October 2006, Torremolinos, Malaga, Spain.
- Distinguished Paper (1 out of 4 distinguished papers among 338 papers considered) in 9th International Conference on Parallel and Distributed Computing (EUROPAR), August 2003, University of Klagenfurt, Austria.
- Award for Excellent Behaviour and High Academic Performance. Moraitis School and Alumni Association. July 1993, Athens, Greece.
- Distributed Computing
- Mobile Computing
- Wireless Sensor Networks
- Algorithmic Engineering
- Software Engineering
- Pervasive Gaming